Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  D A R B O : (16 February 2018 - 01:47 PM)

Welcome to the forums EllisG :)

@  D A R B O : (21 January 2018 - 08:17 AM)

Welcome to the forums bumpy little ting :)

@  D A R B O : (17 December 2017 - 11:37 PM)

Welcome to the forums 95kuston :)

@  D A R B O : (06 December 2017 - 10:46 PM)

Welcome to the forums matthews1453 :)

@  D A R B O : (05 December 2017 - 12:15 PM)

Welcome to the forums StompinTom :)

@  D A R B O : (22 November 2017 - 09:05 PM)

Welcome to the forums R1L3yyy :)

@  D A R B O : (20 November 2017 - 02:51 PM)

Welcome to the forums aiidangee :)

@  D A R B O : (19 November 2017 - 09:58 AM)

Welcome to the forums likeasomebody710 :)

@  D A R B O : (18 November 2017 - 03:10 AM)

Welcome to the forums brod :)

@  D A R B O : (17 November 2017 - 10:24 PM)

Welcome to the forums CENTRIOLE :)

@  D A R B O : (15 November 2017 - 05:31 PM)

Welcome to the forums Vicka :)

Photo
- - - - -

Optimizing Windows For Daws

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   D A R B O

D A R B O

FOUNDER

• F O U N D E R
  • Others:P R E M I U M
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Optimizing Windows for DAWs

1. Please examine your system and make sure that all device drivers of the system are up to date. This involves the drivers of the audio hardware as well as the chipset drivers and the display card drivers. Also Windows XP/Vista/7 should be up to date (Service Packs and updates/hot fixes). You should avoid using dedicated mouse and keyboard drivers, instead use the drivers provided by Windows!
2. Systems with shared memory display setups are not advisable. They often can be found on mobile systems (laptops).
3. In the Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Performance Settings, you can find the option "Adjust for best performance". This option should be checked.
4. Audio interface related settings:
  • Onboard sound cards: If your mainboards provides an onboard sound card it should be configured to be the standard playback device in the Windows Sound and Audio Settings. Thus, the Windows system sound will be played back by the onboard device without affecting the audio signal of your audio interface or soundcard. However, if playback issues occur it can also be advisable to deactivate the onboard device in the BIOS of your system. Onboard soundcards cannot be recommended for the usage with our products since they do not allow working with low latencies due to missing ASIO drivers. Furthermore, some onboard sound chips are equipped with substandard AD/DA converters and only offer low signal quality (high noise level, non-linear frequency response, bad electrostatic shield).
  • Latency/Buffer Setting: If you experience audio drop-outs or crackles take a look at the "ASIO" part of the VST Performance Window (Devices menu). It indicates how much resources are left to calculate the audio data and forward it to the audio driver in time. If the latency is very low (which is corresponding to a very small buffer size) time might be too short for proper signal processing. Depending on the system, the audio interface and the running project, it might make sense to increase the latency/buffer setting. Please refer to the manual of the corresponding audio interface for details. Updating the audio driver might also improve the overall system performance and allow using latencies which weren't usable before. Generally, internal audio cards using the PCI or PCIe bus are able to provide lower latencies than external USB or Firewire based audio interfaces.
5. Any energy saving option should be deactivated or set to "none". The system should be configured for continued operations. If this is not done, hard disks will throttle in speed or toggle off after a while and some processors will down clock and slow down. Because of this, our products could stop functioning correctly. For current Cubase and Nuendo releases, please see #10 which covers this part.

6. Programs that are running in background can cause issues while working with our products or even already during installation. These programs are mostly configured to automatically start when Windows boots up, e.g. virus scanners, security software, firewalls, printer and media software. It is advisable to deactivate these programs and slim out your auto start. You can mostly configure this through the settings of the program itself or you must manually deactivate them through typing "msconfig" (without the "") via Start -> Run. A freeware tool that could help you organizing your autostart would be the CCleaner which offers the settings in Tools -> Startup

7. Disable Hyper-Threading if your CPU supports it (e.g. Intel i7). Further information on how to disable it can be found in the mainboard or computer documentation.

8. Disable advanced power-saving and dynamic performance options for your CPU. This usually needs to be done in the BIOS of your computer and includes Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (EIST), AMD Cool 'n' Quiet, Intel Turbo Boost, and AMD Turbo CORE.

9. Disable C-States in the BIOS, if your computer's BIOS gives you this option. C-States allow your CPU to sleep when idle, which may interfere with real-time applications such as audio. This option is often called "Disable CPU Idle State for Power Saving" in the BIOS.

10. "Disable CPU Energy Saving". In Cubase 5.5 and Nuendo 5 (or later) you can find this option in the main menu under Devices -> Device Setup... -> VST Audio System. This option is disabled by default. By enabling it, the currently active power scheme settings of Windows will be duplicated, settings which are relevant to improve the system performance will be modified in this copied power scheme and will be used as long as the application is running. Quitting the application reverts back to the last used power scheme in Windows.

11. Using the DPC latency checker: This free tool of the company Thesycon analyses your DAW and checks for issues that interrupt audio streaming. Please refer to the manufacturer's website for further information on how to use it.

12. Processor scheduling (Windows XP only): It might make sense to set the processor scheduling to "Background services":
  • Go to Windows Start menu, select "Control Panels"
  • Start "System"
  • Select the tab "Advanced"
  • Click on "Settings" in the section "Performance"
  • In the window "Performance Options" select the tab "Advanced"
There you find the "Processor scheduling" options, set it to "Background services"
See original post here at steinburg https://www.steinber..._back/2025.html

PLEASE REP HELPFUL POSTS / TOPICS / REPLYS / USING THE GREEN ARROW.
Looking for the Downloads? Click here Looking for Tutorials? Click here

Studio & DJ Setup
2x Pioneer CDJ 2000 Nexus
Pioneer DJM 2000 Nexus Mixer

Cubase 8.1 Pro
2x Yamaha HS80 Monitors
Focusrite - Scarlett, Sound Card
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard
Behringer C-1 Condenser Microphone
Galaxy 3.3Ghz Intel Core I3 3220 1TB 16GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz HD
2x Iiyama ProLite E2409HDS PC Monitor
--------------------------------------------
Follow me on SoundCloud | Facebook | Twitter | Mixcloud

#2 OFFLINE   Joe M

Joe M

Guess What? I Can Download!

• C O N T R I B U T O R
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

just to let you know with this on the newer cpus (ivy bridge ) disabling turbo actually damages the cpu in the long run and you get graphics glitches instead so its best to keep it on. Plus the i5 ivy is the same speed know as the i7 ivy hence why I went with that instead of the i7 the only thing you do pay for is the hyper thredding like you mentiond its not needed so best to go for the i5 and overclock and save 70 quid or so. (eventhough that extra cash went on the ssd the graphics card and the liquid cooler lol)

the kit lists:

The P.C https://uk.pcpartpic...ed/#view=fxzdnQ

Custom Built PC Consisting of:

Intel core i7 Haswell E 6 core 5930k processor. (overclocked to 4.5 ghz)

64 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4  ram ( 3000mhz per stick)

2x evga Ftw Nvidia gtx 1080 graphics cards 8 gig gddr5x  (in Sli)

1x 400 GB Intel 750 series pcie solid state hard drive 

2x 500 GB Samsung 850 evo solid state  hard drives (RAID 0 config)

1x Samsung 840 evo ssd at 250 gig.

2x 2TB Seagate hybrid solid state hard drives  (RAID 1 Config)

3x 4TB  Western digital black hard drives. 

Samsung 4k monitor 32 inch.  

Aditionl Kit 

Fl Studio 12 

Presonus Studio One 3

Sony Vegas 

Adobe After effects

Krk Monitors (with Sub)

Tanoy 402 Active Monitors 

Aduio technica 50x Headphones 

Senhiser Hd 25 Sp2 Headphones 

2x Audio technica AT 2035 microphone

Audio technica 2025 Usb Microphone 

Vrm box 

Ipad 3 

Custom built Sager np75 Laptop

I7 6700k

32 gigs ddr4 ram

2 gtx 1080 gpus 8 gig gddr5x in sli 

Oculus rift VR Head set

#3 OFFLINE   DJ Hughesy

DJ Hughesy

I Need To Post More!

• C O N T R I B U T O R
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

just to let you know with this on the newer cpus (ivy bridge ) disabling turbo actually damages the cpu in the long run and you get graphics glitches instead so its best to keep it on. Plus the i5 ivy is the same speed know as the i7 ivy hence why I went with that instead of the i7 the only thing you do pay for is the hyper thredding like you mentiond its not needed so best to go for the i5 and overclock and save 70 quid or so. (eventhough that extra cash went on the ssd the graphics card and the liquid cooler lol)

disabling turbo doesn't do anything to the cpu, you should have that crap turned off when overclocking anyways n set your clock/volts/ram timings manualy if your getting graphics glitches then thats due to your gpu/drivers/unstable overclock
also liquid cooling is a waste of money, especialy on ivy fyi decent air cooler will be better + quieter unles you get into custom loops ;)
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Joe M

Joe M

• C O N T R I B U T O R
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

I got told to disable the spread spectrum insted and tweak the timeings manually which I've done also with the ram I've tweaked the timeings now also so I could clock that at 3000 mhz per stick and bumped my cpu down a tad to 4.6 not haveing any issues at all prime 95ed it for 12 houres and having f**k all problems

the kit lists:

Aditionl Kit 

Fl Studio 12 

Presonus Studio One 3

Sony Vegas 

Adobe After effects

Krk Monitors (with Sub)

Vrm box 

Ipad 3 

I7 6700k

32 gigs ddr4 ram

Oculus rift VR Head set

#5 OFFLINE   Aaron Trauma

Aaron Trauma

• C O N T R I B U T O R
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

you missed out a couple of very simple but very effective optimisation tricks.

1. Disabling services that you don't need in start > run > services.msc. If you don't know what a service does then google it to find out if you need it.

2. Download Advanced System Care Pro  and it will optimise a lot of things for you. It also includes a virus scanner, turbo boost function, game boost function, disk defrag, registry cleaner/defragger and so on. Best maintenance suite I have used so far. A torrent is easy enough to find for it.

3. Always keep at least 20gb of free space on your hard disk drive.

4. Having 4gb of ram allows you to utilise 64bit apps to their full potential

5. Partitioning your hard drive into multiple seperate partitions and keeping your daw on 1 dedicated partition really helps. Only install vsts and sample packs into the daw partition (in fact, you would probably be better off having a seperate partition for your sample packs). Keeps it nice and clean and runs better.

6. Try not to have too much installed on your windows os at once, this clogs up the registry a lot and slows down your system. Also, just because you uninstall something does not mean it is gone. Most maintenance softwares have a built in uninstaller which removes all traces of a program. If you use windows default uninstallers they will leave stuff behind and eventually your os will get clogged up.

7. Overclocking may give you a bit of a performance increase, but it also reduces the lifespan of your components and should not be messed with unless you know what you are doing. Also the performance increase is not worth it.

8. If you are getting blue screen of death frequently run a memtest on your ram and leave your computer while the memtest is running for 24 hours, if no errors are detected then it is either your cpu or graphics card which is failing (a lot of overclockers bump into the bsod because they push their components too hard).

#6 OFFLINE   Joe M

Joe M

• C O N T R I B U T O R
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

At arron Truman I use advanced system care pro love it but torrents give you viruses best bet is to download it and there's loads f videos on YouTube with actual codes just make sure you type them in with your net disabled. As it runs off the pcs cache and cookies. Also there some other options in newer noobs that you can tweak to get the best out of your system like the load line calibration c1e and cp1e to fully utilise the up intention of the CPU. Also disabling the spread spectrum if your clocking is a must as well.

the kit lists:

Aditionl Kit 

Fl Studio 12 

Presonus Studio One 3

Sony Vegas 

Adobe After effects

Krk Monitors (with Sub)

Vrm box 

Ipad 3 

I7 6700k

32 gigs ddr4 ram

Oculus rift VR Head set

#7 OFFLINE   Joe M

Joe M

• C O N T R I B U T O R
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

All new mobs come with software these days that over clock for you f your unsure about doing it yourself whic I do reccomend you install

the kit lists:

Aditionl Kit 

Fl Studio 12 

Presonus Studio One 3

Sony Vegas 

Adobe After effects

Krk Monitors (with Sub)

Vrm box 

Ipad 3 

I7 6700k

32 gigs ddr4 ram

Oculus rift VR Head set

#8 OFFLINE   Aaron Trauma

Aaron Trauma

• C O N T R I B U T O R
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

torrents do not give you viruses if you know what you are doing. All you have to do is look at the comments and see what people have said, if there is very few comments and seeds then steer clear of the torrent but if theres loads of seeders and loads of comments saying it works then it should be ok. malaysiabay.org is a good proxy to get on piratebay if your isp has blocked it, i use it all the time :).

If you would rather not risk torrents at all, then a more safe way of downloading is to subscribe to rapidshare premium. It is around 40 - 50 pound a year but you can download pretty much anything you want at full speed and you are guaranteed not to get a virus since rapidshare's servers have a virus scanner. I also find it a lot more reliable than torrents not only for speed but also for availability of certain things like full rips, rare games, rare vsts/au's and so on. If you do decide to make the investment, rapidshare quite often remove illegal files. to get around this, as an example if I wanted to download lord of the rings trilogy blu ray extended version then I would do this:

use google.com. click search tools and set date to past week

search keywords: "rapidshare.com" Lord Of The Rings Trilogy 1080p Extended Blu Ray

(quotations are important on the rapidshare.com bit because then it defines that each search result must have the words rapidshare.com, and since rapidshare download links have rapidshare.com in them it increases your chances of finding rapidshare links by a huge amount)

if you have no luck, try setting date to past month, and then try past year if all else fails. Sometimes you can't find what you are looking for on rapidshare, but its rare that you can't and you could always check torrents if you can't find what you are looking for if you need it desperately. If what you are looking for is daw related then a very good place to look is audionews.ru, although they only open registration every now and then and you need to make sure you keep your seed/leech ratio up or they will not let you download anything and sometimes ban you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users